Maca powder is an versatile and exceptionally nutrient-dense food extract made from the root of the Peruvian maca, which has been cultivated in Peru for thousands of years.
Its benefits have long been treasured – considered by some to be a powerful adaptogen (a natural substance that many believe can help the body adapt to stress).
Thanks to its impressive nutrient content, unique flavour and handy versatility, maca powder is rapidly becoming a much sought-after item on our nation’s weekly shopping list. But what is maca powder and where exactly does this exotic-sounding ingredient come from? Well, to answer the question, it’s first necessary to travel to the other side of the world, to the fascinating continent of South America.
It is a natural, nutrient-dense food extract made from the root of the Lepidium Meyenii – a tuber crop that’s native to the high Andes of Peru. The root, which is somewhat similar in appearance to a small turnip or radish, is the most prized part of the maca, a hardy plant that flourishes at extreme altitudes and is thus especially suited to organic cultivation.
Maca powder is prepared by drying this special root at low temperatures (in order to preserve an optimal number of its naturally occurring nutrients) and then grinding into a fine powder. As a completely natural powder the colour of maca can vary considerably - from white and yellow to red, purple and even black.
Maca Powder Benefits
- Maca powder contains a wealth of beneficial nutrients, including vitamins (B1, B2, C& E), minerals, complex alkaloids, fatty acids and sterols.
- In fact, maca powder is rich in both vitamin C and calcium.
- Vitamin C, which is is also known as ascorbic acid, performs several important bodily functions - it helps to protect our cells and keep them healthy for example, and is important for the maintenance of healthy connective tissue.
- Calcium is the most abundant mineral in our body, and it too fulfils several vital roles including help build stronger bones and teeth.
- Is certified organic by "Organic Farmers & Growers", the UK’s leading government accredited organic certification body
- Has been dried and processed at low temperatures in order to preserve an optimum number of its naturally occurring nutrients
- Is totally pure and free from fillers or any other artificial additives
- Is also suitable for those following a vegetarian, vegan or raw food diet
- It makes an ideal partner to raw cacao products and thus makes a mouth-watering addition to raw chocolate.
How To Use Maca Powder
Try stirring maca powder into raw food recipes for for spectacular results every time! Try it in particular with raw chocolate, they are a accompany each other perfectly!
Maca Powder Recipe - Maca Warrior Smoothie
1 organic banana
1 tbsp. of raw almond butter
1 tbsp. of organic maca powder
1 cup of raw almond milk (preferably homemade)
Like all smoothie recipes, they are super easy to make and are a great hit of energy to keep you going!
Start with half a banana and put into your blender. Add to it 1 tablespoon of almond butter, 1 tablespoon of maca powder and finally the almond milk.
Blend everything together. If it is too thick for your preference add more almond milk.
Maca Powder Facts
- Known locally as the 'Aphrodisiac of the Andes’, maca powder is also often referred to by its Spanish and Quechua names of maca-maca, maino, ayak chichira, and ayak willku.
- Maca was often supplied to Inca warriors prior to battle to increase their energy and strength
- Shamans from the Andes believe that eating maca powder invokes the reincarnation of spirits
Maca Powder Nutritional Information
This is the same, great Maca Powder from Detox Your World, but now in a brand new Superfoodies bag!
Sourced from the experts at Detox Your World since 2000, our Maca Powder will always be -
- Certified organic and raw
- Only come from a sustainable and ethical suppliers
- Always honestly and clearly display the origins
- Transparent about the composition and preparation
- Completely free from artificial additives, refined sugars and other nasties
Maca Powder Authorised Health Claims
- Maca powder is rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C contributes to normal collagen formation, for the normal function of blood vessels, bones, cartilage, gums, skin and teeth. It also contributes to a normal energy-yielding metabolism, normal functioning of the nervous system, normal psychological function and the normal function of the immune system. In addition, vitamin C contributes to the protection of cells from oxidative stress, the reduction of tiredness and fatigue, the regeneration of the reduced form of vitamin E, and increases iron absorption.
- Maca powder is rich in calcium. Calcium contributes to normal blood clotting, a normal energy-yielding metabolism, normal muscle function and normal neurotransmission. It also contributes to the normal function of digestive enzymes and has a role in the process of cell division and specialisation. In addition, calcium is needed for the maintenance of normal bones and normal teeth, as well as the normal growth and development of bone in children.
Maca Powder Summary
Do not buy maca powder if you have an allergy to any of the ingredients found in cruciferous crops. Always read the product information before choosing to eat maca.
Smoothies, juices, protein drinks and shakes
1 to 2 tablespoons (8 to 16 grams) daily.
Known side effects
This product has not been audited or verified by monitoring regulatory authorities. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease and / or disorders. Under UK law only a medical doctor may 'treat' illness and disease with a medical origin. The information in this web page is for information purposes only.
|Raw Food Recipes||-|
|Recommended By||Shazzie, Heather Pace, Saskia Fraser , Graham Jevon|
You may also be interested in the following product(s)
Customer Reviews - 6 Customer Reviews
Judi | 1/15/15Great product, well packaged and delicious!
A bit of maca a day keeps the doctor away
BeeTee | 10/19/14Love the smell! Put it in my morning drink, gives you a boost!
Best quality maca
Artur | 10/18/14Best quality maca powder. I have tried many maca's powder but only when i drink one from detoxyourworld i can feel diffrence
Can't live without this!
Coldwintersnight | 4/8/14Love this product and get a spoonful of it in wherever I can - smoothies, juices, cake mixes, sometimes even just off the spoon! Definitely one to keep in stock.
Maca powder gives you energy needed for all day
Frederique | 4/8/14I totally love Maca powder! I include it in daily morning smoothie and i recommend this product a lot
Healthy Horlicks Heaven!
Highlandshrub | 8/22/13We make nightcaps with organic coconut, rice or almond milk with a good amount of Maca and Cacao. It should knock you out, but it has other ideas! It's lush!