Raw Foods - 3 Frequently Asked Questions Answered
It’s becoming increasingly apparent that our growing consumption of processed ‘convenience foods’ and the nutrient depletion of our fresh produce, is having serious repercussions for our nation’s health. Indeed, it’s estimated that 60.8 per cent of UK adults and 31.1 per cent of children are now overweight, whilst almost 25 per cent of adults in England are classified as obese. And experts believe that as many as 30,000 people die prematurely from obesity-related conditions (such as cancer, diabetes and heart disease) every year.
It’s hardly surprising that more and more of us are investigating the myriad benefits of rawfoods and superfoods. Here are answers to some of the most common questions we receive from customers curious about raw and superfoods.
1. Must I make sweeping changes to my current eating habits?
No - you can start by incorporating one of our organic superfoods into your daily diet and gradually expand your selection, or begin by replacing the more unhealthy foods lurking in your kitchen cupboards for wholesome alternatives. For example:
- Replace refined sugars and artificial sweeteners with stevia or lucuma.
- Swap fattening chocolate bars with raw organic chocolate prepared from raw cacao.
- Substitute sweets and other unhealthy snacks with a delicious selection of dried super fruits such as goji berries, mulberries, Incan berries and organic nuts and seeds.
- Ditch your regular cooking oil and use aromatic coconut oil instead.
- Replace cows milk / soy milk with hemp or almond milk.
- In place of sugary breakfast cereals, start your day with a superfood smoothie or home made trail mix.
2. Do I need special raw & superfood kitchen accessories?
Whilst there are no rawfood or superfood accessories that you can’t get by without, there is a fun range of handy kitchen gadgets that make preparing raw and superfoods an absolute breeze. Experiment with:
3. What are the must have raw and superfood ingredients?
In order to prepare a tempting range of healthy raw and superfood meals, you’ll need to make sure that your kitchen is adequately stocked with some essential ingredients. These include:
- Cacao products such as raw cacao powder or cacao butter (for the preparation of raw chocolate and desserts).
- Sea vegetables and algae including spirulina and marine phytoplankton.
- Dried roots, grasses and vegetables including wheatgrass, maca and Brazilian ginseng powder.
- Fresh or dried berries and fruit such as sweet mulberries, goji and Incan berries, in addition to lucuma, acai and baobab powder.
- Vegetable fats such as coconut oil for cooking
- Nuts and seeds including raw almonds, chia seeds and hemp seeds for using in homemade trail mix or scattering over soups and salads.
Want to know more about getting started with raw and superfoods?
Download our free Consumer Awareness Guide for further information!