Wheatgrass Powder - The Key Facts
Wheatgrass powder is a potent super green supplement that has been elevated almost to ‘superstar’ status by some. It seems as though everyone has something to say about this ‘superfood of the moment’ - and whilst many are keen to extol the numerous virtues of wheatgrass powder, such as its impressive powers of detox, others warn of possible side effects and its potential for mould.
So, what are the facts behind the fiction? We believe that the lowdown on wheatgrass powder is long overdue!
What is wheatgrass powder?
Wheatgrass powder belongs to a unique category of superfoods, naturally rich in beneficial nutrients, known as ‘super greens’. Super greens include a striking range of vivid green vegetables such as kale, chard, arugula (also known as rocket), spinach and broccoli and chlorophyll rich super green supplements such as spirulina, chlorella and wheatgrass powder.
Prepared from succulent, young wheatgrass shoots, wheatgrass powder is low in calories, yet packed with protein (our wheatgrass powder contains 24% protein – more than meat, fish or dairy products), fibre, vitamins, minerals (including iron, calcium, and potassium), trace elements (such as zinc, magnesium and selenium), enzymes and other special ingredients such as antioxidants (including super oxide dismutase), chlorophyll and beta-carotene. In fact, by adding wheatgrass powder to your favourite shakes, smoothies and juices, you’ll obtain your 5+ daily servings of vegetables in just one sitting.
Wheatgrass powder and detox
Wheatgrass powder is perhaps most revered for its remarkable ability to detox - indeed, extensive research has revealed that wheatgrass consists of approximately 70 per cent chlorophyll and, according to Illinois State University professor, Kent Seymour, is therefore, one of the best ways to obtain living chlorophyll. This exceptionally high chlorophyll content makes wheatgrass powder incredibly alkaline, which means that it can help our body to maintain a healthy pH balance, purify the blood and expel damaging toxins.
Other health benefits associated with wheatgrass powder
There are a number of other important health benefits associated with wheatgrass powder - regular consumption can help:
- Strengthen the immune system
- Increase physical strength, stamina and vigour
- Aid digestion and encourage weight loss
- Balance blood pH and increase haemoglobin count in blood
- Help combat a number of chronic diseases including anaemia, sickle cell anaemia, leukaemia, cancer, diabetes, arthritis, ulcers and arthritis. A trial conducted by the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in the US, proved that wheatgrass juice therapy could demonstrably reduce rectal bleeding and overall disease activity in patients with ulcerative colitis
- Promote healthy skin and delay the visible signs of aging (such as fine lines and wrinkles)